In this program, the pottery master will guide you through the process of porcelain making using the advanced wheel throwing technique. In Mino area, one of the popular porcelain-producing regions. The bisque porcelain made in the area is also used in other traditional pottery towns like Kyoto and Arita. This is our only program that allows you to experience porcelain making, so please keep that in mind!
Those who would like to make porcelain (however prior pottery experience required)
Tour price per 1 person: 184,000 JPY (effective until December 31, 2017)
The price includes:
– Facility/tools use
– Materials (clay, glazes etc)
– Guidance necessary for making porcelain
– Gas Kiln Use & Firing Fee (Includes Biscuit Firing x1 and Glost Firing x1)
– And Free 29 nights of Accommodation (*You will stay in the room near to the pottery studio.)
The price does NOT include:
– Transportation fee to/from the studio, Meals, Packing service, Delivery service, etc.
Pottery facility: HO-CA [Home of Clay Art] (in Tajimi city, Gifu prefecture) [Web / Photos / Access]
Minimum participants: 1 person
Minimum stay: 21 days
Request for Customizing:
In addition to our standard plan, we can also customize your stay to better fit your needs, such as extending your stay beyond 30 days, or reducing it below 30 days. If you have a particular request, let us know by clicking on the button below.
Tour Start Date: Any day.Please tell us your preferred start date. [Current availability]
Booking limit: 30 days prior to the tour start date
– Advance payment of 10% of total tour cost must be deposited within 7 days of receiving a tentative confirmation (Refundable).
– Full payment must be completed 30 days prior to the tour start date.
Payment method we accept: Paypal, Credit Card, Bank transfer, International postal money order
Cancellation fee (Based on Japan time):
– 30 days to 15 days prior to the tour start date: 30% of the tour price
– 14 days to 1 day prior to the tour start date: 50% of the tour price
– Cancellation on the tour start date: 100% of the tour price (No refunds)
Please note that this course is not for beginners or those without pottery-making experience. This is because the course is focused on creating porcelain which requires advanced techniques, so participants must have a handle on basic pottery-making techniques.
About the Potter’s Wheel
Please note that we turn the potter’s wheel clockwise in Japan. When you need the pottery master’s demonstration and advice, he will use the potter’s wheel clockwise.
– You will use a gas kiln of 70cm x 84cm x 80cm or 55cm x 60cm x 60cm.
– Please discuss the timing of firing with the pottery master. There may be a cap on the number and size of your works that can be fired depending on the firing schedule of the pottery master and the other students at the studio.
About the accommodation:
We have two types of room for you to select from. The rooms are located near the pottery studio. Each room is equipped with a bed, small kitchen, fridge and a shower room. Free Wi-Fi available.
– Type A: Located next to the studio. Has two single-sized beds. Shared washing machine and restroom.
– Type B: 5-minute walk from the studio. Has a single-sized bed and a private restroom. Shared washing machine.
About the meals:
You can use the kitchen in your room. The studio owner will tell you where the nearest grocery store is.
The studio owner speaks rudimentary English, but he is well accustomed to taking care of non Japanese people, as they have accepted quite a lot of guests from all over the world.
A Message from the Pottery Owner
Many visitors including pottery artists from across Japan and overseas enjoy taking part in our pottery workshop since we started the workshop in Tajimi, a land of Mino ware.
Our accommodation “Home of Clay art” has been built next to our studio. We are looking forward to your visit, to Japan, and to Tajimi!
Photos of the studio on Flickr
Testimonials about this program / Testimonials about all the programs in Tajimi
Other 30-day Pottery Making Programs in Tajimi
All 30-day Pottery Making Programs