All the available slots for 2019 courses has been filled.
In this program, you will make Japanese tea ceremony utensils under the guidance of a pottery master. The pieces you made will be fired in the gas kiln. After the firing, you can experience traditional Japanese tea ceremony with using your own pieces. If you are interested in Japanese tea ceremony and would love to get hands-on experience with traditional Japanese pottery, this program is for you!
Those who would like to make tea ceremony utensils (however prior pottery experience required)
Tour price per 1 person (effective until December 31, 2019):
– 236,000 JPY (Room Type A)
– 227,000 JPY (Room Type B)
The price includes:
– Facility/tools use
– Materials (clay, glazes etc)
– Guidance necessary for making tea ceremony utensils
– Gas/Electric Kiln Use & Firing Fee (Includes Biscuit Firing x1 and Glost Firing x1)
– And Free 29 nights of Accommodation (*You will stay on the 2nd floor of the pottery studio.)
The price does NOT include:
– Transportation fee to/from the studio, Meals, Packing service, Delivery service, etc.
Pottery facility: Kita-gama Kasen (in Seto city, Aichi prefecture) [Web / Photos / Access]
Minimum participants: 1 person
Length of stay: minimum 30 days / maximum 30 days
Request for Customizing:
In addition to our standard plan, we can also customize your stay to better fit your needs. If you have a particular request, let us know by clicking on the button below.
Tour Start Date: Any day.Please tell us your preferred start date. [Current availability]
Booking limit: 30 days prior to the tour start date
– Advance payment of 10% of total tour cost must be deposited within 7 days of receiving a tentative confirmation (Refundable).
– Full payment must be completed 30 days prior to the tour start date.
Payment method we accept: Paypal
Cancellation fee (Based on Japan time):
– 30 days to 15 days prior to the tour start date: 30% of the tour price
– 14 days to 1 day prior to the tour start date: 50% of the tour price
– Cancellation on the tour start date: 100% of the tour price (No refunds)
Please note that this course is not for beginners or those without pottery-making experience. This is because the course is focused on creating tea ceremony utensils which requires advanced techniques, so participants must have a handle on basic pottery-making techniques.
About the Potter’s Wheel
Please note that we turn the potter’s wheel clockwise in Japan. When you need the pottery master’s demonstration and advice, he will use the potter’s wheel clockwise.
– You will use gas kilns of 90cm x 60cm x 90cm (0.7 cubic meters) / 45cm x 45cm x 60cm (0.3 cubic meters) or an electric kiln of 40cm x 40cm x 40cm.
– Your works will be fired together with other items when the studio fires the kiln on their regular schedule, therefore you can not specify the firing method (Oxidation or Reduction). Also, please understand that there may be some limitations in terms of sizes and numbers of items to be fired.
About the accommodation:
The rooms are located on the 2nd floor of the pottery studio. We have two types of rooms for you to select from. Both rooms are Japanese style rooms with tatami mats and futon (Japanese style mattress). Free Wifi available.
– Type A: Kitchenette and a bathroom in each room, with a shared washing machine
– Type B: Shared kitchen, fridge, shower room, restroom and washing machine.
About the meals:
You can use the shared kitchen or the kitchenette in your room. The studio owner will tell you where the nearest grocery store is.
English: The pottery master can speak English, but not as fluently as native speakers.
A Message from the Pottery Owner
“It requires 3 years to master wedging, and 10 years to master the wheel.”
Here in Seto, the phrase has been handed down from generation to generation, to inherit the importance of spending plenty of time to learn.
We believe that it would be a very good experience for you to work with the craftsman.
Photos of the studio on Flickr
Testimonials about this program / Testimonials about all the programs in Seto
Other 30-day Pottery Making Programs in Seto
All 30-day Pottery Making Programs